By S. Hobson
Read or Download Angels of Modernism: Religion, Culture, Aesthetics 1910-1960 PDF
Similar literary modernism criticism books
In Modernist Fiction, Cosmopolitanism and the Politics of group, first released in 2001, Jessica Berman argues that the fiction of Henry James, Marcel Proust, Virginia Woolf and Gertrude Stein engages at once with early twentieth-century alterations of group and cosmopolitanism. even supposing those modernist writers improve substantially varied versions for social association, their writings go back many times to problems with commonality, shared voice, and trade of expertise, fairly relating to dominant discourses of gender and nationality.
Concentrating on paintings produced among 1880 and 1945, Literary learn and British Modernism: techniques and assets presents students with the mandatory tools and instruments for learning the literature of this era. This reference consultant will facilitate examine into the works of such significant modernist writers as James Joyce, T.
Mark Goble revisits the aesthetics of modernism within the early 20th century, while new modes of conversation made the event of know-how an party for profound experimentation and mirrored image. Goble exhibits how the assimilation of such "old" media applied sciences because the telegraph, cellphone, and phonograph encouraged fantasies of connection that trained a dedication to the materiality of inventive mediums.
Usual concerns is the 1st significant interdisciplinary learn of the standard in modernist women's literature and images. It examines how girls photographers and writers together with Helen Levitt, Lee Miller, Virginia Woolf and Dorothy Richardson envision the field of standard existence in gentle of the social and cultural ameliorations of the interval that formed and infrequently considerably re-shaped it: for instance, urbanism, instrumentalism, the good melancholy and warfare.
- Consuming Visions: Cinema, Writing, and Modernity in Rio de Janeiro (New World Studies)
- James Joyce and Catholicism: The Apostate's Wake (Historicizing Modernism)
- The Pool Group and the Quest for Anthropological Universality: The Humane Images of Modernism (Buchreihe der Anglia / Anglia Book Series)
- Mothering Modernity: Feminism, Modernism, and the Maternal Muse (Origins of Modernism)
- Literary Ghosts from the Victorians to Modernism: The Haunting Interval (Routledge Studies in Twentieth-Century Literature)
Extra info for Angels of Modernism: Religion, Culture, Aesthetics 1910-1960